I'm always the girl bringing in cupcakes to work, encouraging my friend to "just go for it!" when she's not sure if she should have another. Enjoy life! Eat the cupcakes. Live a little.
While I do still like those principles in general, I think I take it a little overboard sometimes. I almost go the opposite just to prove a point to myself, eating extra, indulging myself to NOT go on that walk... I'm trying to prove to myself that I accept myself at my weight, beauty doesn't have a weight limit, I'm comfortable with who I am as I am....and so on. Unfortunately my body is not designed just to ignore those things. I gain weight. Easily. I lose it, also. But not so easily.
What's so bad about weighing more? I do still think I can be beautiful at my current size. I can love myself and my body. So what's wrong with it?
- First of all, nothing is wrong with it. But my body will perform at its best if it's in shape. Digestive system, bones, my heart, organs, brain, hormones, everything does better at your optimal weight. Not that those things are a big deal right now, I'm only 25. But if I don't form good health habits today, when will I?
- I will fit into clothes better. The truth is, when you're at a healthy weight, things fit better. Like it or not, it's true. Pants, bras, shirts...jeggings. The proportions are designed to fit best without extra bulges.
- Even though I do love and accept myself, whatever size I am, the truth is I am physically more comfortable and feeling good when I manage my weight. I do an extra double take in the mirror and do a little "damn girl, you look good". There is nothing wrong with acknowledging we look better when we're fit. Not skinny necessarily, fit. I have curves and will always have curves, and that doesn't mean I'm not healthy.
- Because self-discipline actually is good for us. It has nothing to do with what other people think. It has everything to do with doing it for yourself because you know you can. Prove it to yourself!
- My doctor said I should. And he encouraged me and told me I can do it! And I'm pretty sure he's a lot smarter than I am. And he's kind of old, and still healthy looking, so he knows what he's talking about.
If you're going to tackle the problem, you have to do it for good reasons. What are your reasons?
In related news:
I'm officially a Y member now! And since I'm paying a fee every month, I definitely cannot let it sit there and go to waste. They've recently re-branded and I'm really liking the feel with the new bright colors:
|Ew. The old one was so black and angular. source|
|I love all the colors! So much energy source|