Jan 16, 2013

Five Years

This weekend Katrina and I celebrated our five year anniversary. I can't believe it's five whole years, and at the same time, I can hardly remember what it was like to exist without her. 

I don't know if I mentioned this here before, but this is the first relationship I've ever been in. That used to be something I was embarrassed about, I went all through high school and half-way through college, and had never dated, never even had my first kiss. I had crushes, but I never quite clicked with guys, something just felt off. I thought for a while, maybe something was wrong with me. I was different than other girls, I just wasn't sure why. 

And then, I met this amazing girl. I was pulled towards her like the earth gravitating around the sun. She lit something inside me, and I felt alive and secure and finally like myself. We were best friends for a year, inseparable. And then we kissed, and now it's been five years as "us".

Turns out nothing was wrong with me, although perhaps I am a bit different. But I'm so thankful I allowed myself to just be myself, and wait it out while I figured it out. 

Our five years haven't all been a walk in the park. But I can definitely say, that things have only gotten better and better. And let me tell you... I've learned a lot and grown a lot.

The first couple years were rocky. Very rocky in fact. We were in a christian environment where we were terrified to tell anyone. And the people we did tell usually cried, and said that this was a trial sent from God, and they hoped we could still get married (to men) some day. We went to counseling to try to get help in "just being friends". Obviously, that didn't work. We spent months apart while I studied abroad. We tried to "legitimately break up" for a few weeks one time (HELL ON EARTH). We both worked through personal struggles, figuring out who we were. But through all of this, neither of us could let go. That's when I started to get the clue that this was the real deal, and it was something worth fighting for.

In some ways, I think it was a good thing we had to work through a bunch of crap right at the beginning. Because once you've made it through all that, you kind of know that you've got something built to last, and that you can make it through just about anything. I love her more every day. I know people say that, but it's really true. The more I know her, the more I love her. I'm getting all choked up now writing this, so I'll just say one more thing...

There are so many components to having a healthy relationship, learning to give and compromise and build trust and serve one another. But you know what I've found to be so essential to the longevity of a relationship?

Laughter.

Find someone who genuinely makes you laugh. Someone who you enjoy spending time with, who gets you & your sense of humor, and who you can just crack up with over day-to-day life as it comes. 

All dressed up.
<3
A perfect night out with my baby at a sweet little local tapas style restaurant.
Filet mignon, a very special treat.
Chicken wontons with sweet thai chili sauce.
Mmmm, my favorite - Stella Artois
My beautiful Love.
Banana chocolate chip pancakes in the morning.
I love when she leaves me little notes to find after she's gone.
Apart again for now. This girl knows how to make me laugh.

What do you think are some of the keys to a healthy relationship? What are some of the hardest things your relationship has overcome?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...